Saturday, October 4, 2008

Let It Rock...

For those of you who have taken an art history class and have a general understanding of fine art work I invite you to read on and appreciate. For those with limited knowledge and understanding of fine art work prepare yourself to be enlightened. Many of you may be familiar with the "Vitruvian Collection" by TMS Inc found at world-class museums and your local "TJ Max Home Goods" retailer.

The "Rock On" Statue

After countless wishes on shooting stars, fallen eyelashes and pennies found in parking lots across the nation my wish was granted...I found the Vitruvian "Rock On" piece at my very own TJ Max Home Goods. Alright, in all honestly I never knew this fine piece of artwork existed so my countless wishes were specifically for the "Rock On" sculpture but had I known it existed they would have been that I would find one. Needless to say upon its discovery I found myself in a vicious internal battle, "Would Rosie be angry that I purchased the statue?" and "If I did purchase it would she allow me to proudly display it?" I pondered over the little pamphlet that came with the statue that says,

"Rock on" (Corna in ancient Greece) was a gesture to ward off bad luck. In pop-culture, the gesture has been Widely used at rock concerts indicating a desire by fans to hear more music. The gesture was popularized by John Lennon, modern motion picture superheroes and sports fans meaning, "you rock!"


To summarize this several-minute ordeal my less logical side took over and I walked away without the sculpture wondering if I would ever see it again. When I returned home I told Rosie of my find to which she told me she needed to find a table at TJ Max so I asked her to see if by chance the treasured statue was still there. Upon arriving at the store, miraculously she found this magnificent sculpture! My sweet wife is extremely smart; she knew that if she were to purchase the statue it would allow her to purchase several other things she found in the course of her shopping excursion.

Upon her return home she informed me that I could proudly display the statue next to our TV in the front room. There it proudly stood...until one week ago when I was informed that my statue would be replaced with some seasonal wooden pumpkins. To which I informed Rosie that the "Rock On" symbol is timeless and will work for any season. Apparently my argument was not convincing enough to allow it to stay, so the statue is now found in the office, where it is more difficult for our visitors to appreciate.

After all, this artwork was inspired by Leonardo Da Vinci's, "Vitruvian Man" it is history and I want to allow others to appreciate it. If the statue is practically caged up in the office only Rosie and myself can appreciate it and I would feel bad that others missed out. So I come to those faithful readers of our blog to help me begin a petition to bring the state back to the front room by posting your belief that we should "Let it Rock" by the TV again.

The pumpkins that took the place of my statue!


8 comments:

JRO said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
JRO said...

To My Sweet Husband: Yes, I am smart and I did use the "Rock On" statue as a peace offering and distraction from the many fabulous things I found during my shopping excursion (my Zebra print platter was one of them) but it served its purpose but now... it's time to embrace Fall and the decorations that get to come out of hiding for it!!!! You don't get my vote sweetheart... NICE TRY!

April said...

yeah... I have to vote for the wood pumpkins as well -
Also, I would like to see a post on the Zebra platter.
thank you.

Kristin said...

My 2 year old told me to "rock on" just yesterday! Maybe she needs a statue of her own - did you get the last one?!

Emily and Austin Gray said...

James, it would be a bit hypocritical of me to side with you, since Austin has quite a collection of treasures that I have banished to *his* office (a Buddha head, a wooden Chinese dragon-like thing, an "antique" barrister cabinet . . .)

If Gavin were here, he'd point out that if you lay "rock on" down on its back, it looks like Spiderman's hand slinging his web (Gav's current favorite hand gesture.) Maybe the superhero connection would move Rose to change her mind?

Love the pumpkins, by the way.

Emily

Mary Bentley Williams said...

ROSIE! I'm so happy you found me! I love that we can keep in touch so much easier now! 10 points to you. you guys are cracking me up and its just what I needed while I'm up in the night with a new-born. Rosie, I don't know whats come over me but I'm going with James on this one, the statue does compliment the plasma nicely, I can see how it really does make a statement there. Just think, you have the rest of your life to look at pumpkins... or James, you could just be happy during the months of May/June/August when there is little seasonal decor to go around. No one can argue with Rosie's taste. :) Love you!

T.J. said...

Let it rock.

Julie said...

I am sorry Rosie I believe as the song instructs you must "let it rock"! By displaying this glorious statue you may be able to use it as yet another peace offering... lose the battle but win the war!