Monday, June 16, 2008

Welcome to the Jungle...via ebay

As many of you know my rugby career has unfortunately come to an end. In an effort to still enjoy my guy time and keep my testosterone levels high I decided to purchase a bowling ball and join a bowling league with my buddies. I came to the conclusion that you only buy one bowling ball in a life time so it is in my best interest to make it worth while. After coming to this conclusion I immediately began to search the internet far and wide to find "MY Ball." During the course of my search I joined Ebay due to my infatuation with a clear bowling ball that had a boxing glove in it and an etched signature of Sugar Ray Leonard on the outside. It was love at first sight and I was convinced it was meant to be. After carefully orchestrating a plan to win the ball with the help of two true Ebay masters my dad (Who will probably go down in Ebay archives as a legend, he's that good) and an associate at work I was convinced the ball was mine! I did as I was told and waited until 5 seconds was left to submit my max bid thinking I had won the prize...my heart was pounding and I was sure the ball was mine...however as the screen refreshed it informed me that I was not the highest bidder because my competition had set a higher max bid and won. I was indeed disappointed and so I continued my search with a heavy heart not only because I had fallen in love with the ball, but I had also lost my first Ebay bid ever! I though it was impossible to find another ball that could replace the boxing glove ball but much to my surpise I stumbled across a tiger striped ball that reminded me of something out of the 80's. For those of you who don't know I am a huge 80's fan and decided it was meant to be! I used my same strategy as before and ended up walking away as believe it or not...the only bidder and the winner of the "Tiger Striped Bowling Ball. " Since my purchase I have had the ball custom drilled and engraved with "Jimmy." I have taken her out for a prowl twice now and loved every second of it! The league or our excuse for guys night out does not start until mid September so fortunate for me I have some time to perfect my skills of crushing pins until then!



7 comments:

Emily and Austin Gray said...

Great post!! I think bowling is the perfect way to cure your rugby blues. Choosing an '80s ball was the right way to go. You have the choice of two quality theme songs: Survivor's "Eye of the Tiger" or G&R's classic "Welcome to the Jungle". Either way you win.

Best,
Austin.

Kristin said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Kristin said...

Hey guys - it's Kristin (from Rosie's visiting teaching group - I think we're still in the same group?). Just stumbled across your blog! I too once played rugby (I started the first female team at Boise State). I don't know why your rugby days came to an end, but mine did after breaking my arm in half over 10 years ago. I still miss it. Good luck with the bowling thing.

Rachie said...

You are so hardcore...the jungle scene fits you perfectly

Reid and Christine Family said...

K - I just found you guys. Hope you don't mind my "blog stalking." I'm sure Rosie is so happy for your new bowling ball - just as proud as I am of Reid's very own bowling ball. (except somehow I didn't even know he had it until this year and we've been married 8 years!) I don't even want to show Reid this post or he's going to get jelous and want a more "original" ball as you have.

Reid and Christine Family said...

Hey - we didn't see you at church today but Reid and I want to join you at the Journey concert (if you don't mind us tagging along!)Our babysitter will be here around 5:30 - so save us a spot on the lawn. Actually we may have to swap cell phone numbers to find eachother. Email christinetmitchell@gmail.com

Colb, Sar and Cici said...

Nice form champ!!! I love bowling, we should grab our hunnies and go do some bowling. I wanna see this ball of yours in action.